View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2023555)   #69
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
It's a good sounding plan. But something tells me that DHL aren't exactly jumping at the chance. 'Official Transportor of Le Mans' has a certain ring to it (and great exposure). However, when you add that tag to some non-descript never run before all-star race it leaves a lot to be desired. Cost vs. return does not flesh this one out I'm afraid. If it did, international sportscar racing would have done it already. But, I could be wrong...

I would tend to agree with that to.

No...It really isn't the same....

For LM, automatic bids go to the LMS and ALMS season class champs only plus the class podium finishers at Le Mans the year before and the Petit LM class winners.

Half of the field are invites and the ALMS gets a lot less invites than the European teams receive. Sebring results didn't even figure into the equation last year.

In recent years, the ACO has extended invites to teams that were virtual vaporware (Spinnaker Clandesteam, anyone?) and had to insert many of their alternates.

Does anyone really think that the Norma, the Taurus Lola Diesel, or even the revised Reynard chassis that was made into a hybrid that originally used an ethanol-powered Cosworth engine (the team's name escapes me at the moment) was one of the "best" sportscars in the world and worthy of participating at Le Mans, let alone in an "All Star" event?

I sure don't think so....all three were woefully uncompetitive at LM and they held spots on the grid while others who deserved bids were left at home.

This would reward teams for their results on the track during the season.

This would be a post-season event (held in a warm climate) that would reward those who succeeded, plus some teams who were competitive, but did not make the Top Five in their class (like AGR stands right now, or other good teams in LMS probably stand).

I'd rather see what would arguably be the 50 best sportscar teams in the world compete in a second event to climax the season....who knows...It might even provide better racing that we see at Le Mans...

JMHO

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 26 Sep 2007 at 13:32.

One American Open Wheel Series!