View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2007, 10:45 (Ref:2030677)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Budgetary Considerations

The three chassis that you have picked are probably the most commonly seen in Speed Events.

Agree with Blackx about the OMS. Very strong, will take a variety of engines, if buying second-hand I would go for the 2000M.

Likewise the Jedi look strong and resilient. Again if buying second-hand go for a Mk 4 or newer. Seen Jedis with Honda, Suzuki & Yamaha engines so choice of engine isn't limited.

Have to disagree with Blackx as the vast majority of Force chassis that I have seen have been fitted with either 1100 or 1300 standard engines. There are a few forced induction cars about but again the 1.6 Hayabusa units seem to be popular.

In the 600cc to 1100cc class the choice of engine really comes down to either a Yamaha R1 or the Suzuki GSXR.

The most important factor is your budget. You may be able to buy an OMS 2000M complete with 1300 Hayabusa for less than a new OMS Hornet with an 1100 engine on-board. The other thing to consider is the resale value; buying new always leads to a downward valuation of your car whilst some second-hand prices seem to stay unaffected over the years.

At most club events the 1100 class is probably the most well supported followed by the 1600 class. Dependant on your budget I would have thought either class would be a good move forward.