View Single Post
Old 4 Nov 2007, 11:31 (Ref:2059227)   #54
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al - about the costs. I recently was equipping the rescue unit I run with improved lighting. One of the items was a pair of red LED flashing beacons. A little research showed that cheap ones were about £20 (each). A little more research showed that the cheap ones had a very narrow viewing angle, small size and lower brightness. They contained "old" technology diodes which have limited life and tolerance to vibration. So I ended up deciding that the better ones at a cost of £64 + VAT (each) were the sensible buy. Wide angle effect, solid construction and a decent guarantee.

Like so many things, you usually get what you pay for. The fact that certification costs money and the FIA require things with direct safety relevance to be certified adds on a bit. But just think of all those lawyer fees/insurance premiums - "You required him to fit a safety belt but you didn't say it had to be of a proven standard! So a bit rope would have done.".

Regards

Jim