Thread: Trivia Question
View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2072463)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
I recently went to the Donington Park Collection (very impressive, especially the McLaren Hall), but what intrigued me was a car that resembled a 1950's Ferrari, front-engined, but built to modern standards.

I remember them racing at Donington supporting the BTCC in '95, I think. As I recall there was a fairly good grid, so I wondered where they've gone. Was it just a one off race?
I can't remember what they were called, but the cars were commissioned by Tom Wheatcroft for what I think was supposed to be a championship some years ago.
I think that the idea was that the cars would all be prepared and taken to the meetings, with (paying) drivers acting purely on an 'arrive & drive' basis.
The cars were set up with lots of power (a 2.4 litre Millington engine I think) and little mechanical grip aiming for spectacular racing. (I think Tom himself managed less that one lap before dumping one in the gravel trap!).
Unfortunately the 'series' didn't seem to take off, presumably due to the costs involved.
No doubt, someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along soon the explain this all properly...