View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2114398)   #94
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
--To the extent that CC buys the time slots for its races and has jumped from network to networks to networks trying for ratings, plus the irregularity of its international TV where sometimes countries like all of 'em in Europe, Mexico, Australia and even Canada don't have them from time to time, it IS responsible.
No, no, no, I'm gonna blame it on ABC production and that old grandma in Omaha. It's all their fault. Champcar just puts on the races.

--Both Nazareth and Pikes Peak had other races besides the IRL. Poor IRL attendance didn't break 'em. Pikes Peak was poorly financed and was for sale almost before it was completed. Nazareth was overbudgeted and when Penske built the facility, it hit rocks at a very shallow depth, so growth of permanent grandstands, etc., would be costly. ISC grounded Nazareth to sell the land because of its status. ISC grounded Pikes Peak and cannibalized the seating for some of its other tracks.

Rationalization that leads to nothing. Nazereth was once successful based on it's open wheel race and it is now facing demolition. Pikes Peaks bread and butter was the IRL from the beginning, but the only thing left was a few crumbs.

--Bob Bahre and the IRL mutually agreed Loudon wasn't a good market for them. They agreed it didn't work. Buddy Jobe was the first to step up for IRL when it was formed and the IRL ran there loyally throughout its ownership. ISC bought the track from Buddy Jobe, IRL attendance stayed constant for awhile and started dropping when the ISC management screwed up both the Copper World Classic and the IRL weekends, started to focus on a second NASCAR race and finally went away. The decision was not met well within the Phoenix racing community and Phoenix has talked to the IRL since about trying it again and trying to figure out a date that's not too close to the NASCAR dates.

It's everyone else's fault isn't it? More rationalization and blaming others for the fact that the irl drew flies to each track. If both races were successful like they were in the CART days, they would still be on the schedule. But they were not successful and they are gone.

--You are incorrect about both Fontana and Michigan on both crowds and reasons.

Again if the irl was successful there, they would still be there. Excuses, excuses.

--I don't know where you got your list of hospitalized drivers but it's mandatory that they check into the track medical facility after a crash and if there's any question, they send 'em in. At a cursory glance, a good portion of those injuries were minimal enough that the drivers went in, got checked out and were released or just looked at overnight to be safe. The ESPN link was back when Oreo and the then-Gang of Four and Mark C. were playing safety cards at random and embellishing them.

That "safety card" is pretty serious when people die or get injured on a regular basis. Concussions, broken backs and legs are not minimal injuries you slap a band aid on. Do you know that I know some of the drivers on that list and they are still feeling those injuries all these years later? I think they'd strongly disagree their injuries were "minimal".

--Pole Day no longer has milestones to be reached like 150, 200, etc. However, the move of Carb Day from Thursday to Friday with a concert has been a HUGE increase.

The place is vacant compared to the old days. End of story.

--Yes, Wheldon has said he wanted to try NASCAR. As I said, how long did Franchitti and Hornish drive Indy cars and Hornish has expressed a desire to continue running at Indy. From the interviews of both Dario and Ashley and Dario's two '07 flips, I gather he's down there to try to finish his career there. It isn't like Indy-car drivers haven't tried it down there in the past -- notably, Tom Sneva, Johnny Rutherford and Pancho Carter all spent a season or so down there. Similarly, Cale Yarborough, Donnie and Bobby Allison and Lee Roy Yarbrough spent seasons or selected races in Indy cars. I have seen absolutely nothing anywhere to indicate Castroneves and/or Dixon have said or done anything anywhere close to serious consideration of a NASCAR career. This is the absolute first I have heard that anywhere.

Looking at your field, Francheeki and Hornish were two of the top drivers and better known and I would be concerned that they have fled to Nascar. Castro Neves has been rumored and I've seen a direct quote from Dixon he's interested. It should be concern that drivers see the irl as a stepping stone to nascar as much as potential champcar drivers may see it as a path to F1.

--You want to call IRL management a failure. That's your privilege, your attitude and your expectations that form that opinion and I suggest you just keep on truckin' with your pals at CW....they've been down a little lately and The Dark Side needs some perkin' up.

It is a failure. The facts are there. For a new series why invite those same failures to run it.

Yes I'll keep on truckin' with my pals at CW. Thick as thieves we are. But at least I can say I don't get paid per post or cash a check to express my thoughts.