View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2002, 15:21 (Ref:211650)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too bad Sky Sports aren't easily available through-out Europe (at least not in Sweden), and often display a really sh*tty side towards other channels trying to show stuff Sky happens to have the rights to.

Example: Last year a channel in Sweden - Viasat Sport - showed 1½-2 hour tape delayed broadcasts of IRL races (pretty much the full coverage, excluding commercials). Usually it was 1, sometimes 2, weeks after the race has been run, and that's just fine by me. BUT, for some reason Viasat Sport couldn't show the Indy 500, nor could they show the race at Richmond. Why? Well, my guess is that Sky Sports, for some reason, blocked Viasat Sport from showing anything from those races. Money, of course, could be a factor, and I could understand the Indy 500 not being shown because of that. But the race at Richmond, obviously, shouldn't be as expensive, nor does it carry the same prestige.

What enforces my belief that Sky Sports are the culprits is the NASCAR broadcasts on Eurosport in '98. Not a single restrictor-plate race was shown in '98 - do you think it was a mere coincidence that Sky Sports just HAPPENED to have the live-rights for those exact races? I think not.

I'm sure Sky Sports is all peachy - IF you live in the UK. But for the rest of Europe, they continue to show - over and over - nothing but signs of being a ruthless and greedy TV-network that deserves no better than being blown to smithereens.
</rant-over>

Can you tell I'm not too fond of Sky Sports?

Last edited by rustyfan; 7 Feb 2002 at 15:24.