View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2137525)   #46
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Words escape me... such a young man....

Thucydides says it best - The funeral oration, speaking of young Greek soldiers not returning from war -

"If then we prefer to meet danger with a light heart but without laborious training, and with a courage which is gained by habit and not enforced by law, are we not greatly the better for it? Since we do not anticipate the pain, although, when the hour comes, we can be as brave as those who never allow themselves to rest; thus our city is equally admirable in peace and in war. For we are lovers of the beautiful in our tastes and our strength lies, in our opinion, not in deliberation and discussion, but that knowledge which is gained by discussion preparatory to action. For we have a peculiar power of thinking before we act, and of acting, too, whereas other men are courageous from ignorance but hesitate upon reflection. And they are surely to be esteemed the bravest spirits who, having the clearest sense both of the pains and pleasures of life, do not on that account shrink from danger...."

All of our favourite, or even not favourite drivers, are indeed brave for going into combat with their sheet metal chariots, and we are able to sit at home and discuss their feats on this great forum. We take this argueably lightly at times, as shown this weekend.

To the Cooper family, I wish you warmth and strength at this time. To anyone reading who knew him, I pass this wish to you as well.

I sincerely hope we all stay safe after this, driving on the roads as well.

RIP Ashley.