Thread: bio's tracks
View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2145590)   #118
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, time to leave the Old Continent and travel to the New World, isn't it?

Most of my tracks are on flat site so there isn't much altitude change involved. This time I was to find a venue where there is a helluva merry-go-round throughout the track - and after looking for some time I found a good place, near the city of Courtenay in British Columbia, Canada. Forget that it might be a National Park or something - when did it stop us, huh?
I found some altitude maps so I could see more clearly how exactly altitude is changing. Here's the site:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Base_raw.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	945.9 KB
ID:	19158
There's a lake south-west and you can see that it's really hilly a place.

The track:

Name:	Courtenay_1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	19154 Click image for larger version

Name:	Courtenay_1b.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	730.4 KB
ID:	19159
It's 5,048 kilometers (3,155 miles) long and runs counter-clockwise. I also wanted to include a really long straight, however uncharacteristic of me - so there you have that 1,300 meter (0.8 mile) long S/F straight that is really part of an existing highway - of course closed during races

Name:	Courtenay_2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	19155

Let's take a virtual lap.
After the start and the 650 meter long and flat straight there's the T1, a really tight left hairpin - a good overtaking opportunity. After the hairpin the ascent begins (From here the track goes up and up until T6, another hairpin, halfway trhu the track). A faster right sweeper and then an even faster left sweeper comes that leads to a midspeed chicane (might be a good spot to overtake) and then the second hairpin, again a left one. This is also the highest part of the track. From here the track descends.
After the hairpin an esses combo comes that leads to a rather tight right hander. This corner is the entry to the last section that is basically a combination of three straights connected by two chicanes, the second one considerably faster. This set of straights leads us back to startline-level and to the last turn of the track that is a mid-speed right hander. This leads to the S/F straight.

Name:	Courtenay_3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	19156

The rather uneven nature of the site made it hard to place parking lots but I tried my best Since especially the hillside stands would be hard to get near by car I figured there would be a special high performance shuttle minibus service that could take some of the spectators to their stands.
Also, since the track is basically on a hillside the vision range of the stands might work differently (and certainly better( than with flat circuits. Especially the stands by the upper section have a much better view of most of the track.

Finally, here's an elevation map of the track with the usual color code:

Name:	Courtenay_height.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	19157

Last edited by bio; 6 Mar 2008 at 12:48.