View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2171303)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
That seems quite high for Elephant, did you have any extra drivers on when you got the quote? My daughter's was £1200 on her own but as soon as I added myself and my wife it brought it down to £440.

The trick is to make the risk look as good as possible for them by your named drivers having use of other cars, if you can say you can use another car as well it will help. When you come up for renewal they will be high so it will pay you to shop around then.
I had my dad down as a named driver when I got the quote from Elephant - I'm not sure what they would have quoted me without him on the policy, but he owns another car and is a named driver on both my mum's and my sister's policies, so he has access to plenty of cars... Unfortunately I can't say I use another car because my boyfriend doesn't want to add me to his insurance (presumably worried about his premium going up by adding another young driver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Also if you can go for a new Corsa I think Vauxhall are doing free insurance at the moment also go for a diesel as even though derv is dearer, 60-70 mpg is not to be sniffed at.
They have a free insurance offer on the Club model (which is what I learnt in, so I'd quite like one of those) - only problem is you have to have had a licence for 2 years, which means the free insurance wouldn't apply to me. Without that, the Club is poor value for money - it costs about the same as the Breeze model, except the Breeze comes with air con and alloy wheels, so essentially with the Club I'd be paying for those things without actually getting them (not that I want alloy wheels as a new driver, for obvious reasons!).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'