View Single Post
Old 8 May 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2196693)   #33
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Not a bad engine at all to use as the template I would've thought!!!

Back to the cars themselves, what was the deal with Tony Dolley and Les Liddiard's FXGT's in 1989. They only appeared for that season in plain white and red colours. Were they new or sourced from elsewhere and why were they so off the pace?

I also recall the Ray Armes driven PG Tips Honda Civic V-Tec coming out late in the season and setting a new benchmark for cars in that class; then MSA adopted Class 2/SuperTouring and a very well sponsored and expensive motor car was instantly obsolete......
Does anyone have pics of the Dolley and Liddiard cars?- I don't think I ever saw them at the time.

Going off-topic (but I don't think there were enough Hondas around to manage a topic of their own yet unless anyone has information on the cars raced in Japan- I've still got the Tamiya 1/24 kit of one of those somewhere) the Ray Armes car was run by Graham Goode as I remember? When the 2-litre regs came in a 4-door Civic saloon was built (run by Trakstar) but was never competitive- I have a vague memory they had to use the 1600 engine from the earlier car at the start of the season which didn;t help.

I've got a couple of pics somewhere- I know I posted a Brands paddock shot in the RS500 thread of Gravett's RS500 with the second Honda lurking in the background, but I think I have one of the earlier car as well.

I've got some Corolla pics to post, although quality-wise they're not up to much- they show the CHMS, Kimber-Smith and Crudgington cars, plus a few of the Europeans- I'll scan them at the weekend and see how they come out

Last edited by KA; 8 May 2008 at 09:01.