View Single Post
Old 9 May 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2197449)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
what I'm asking Bodysnatcher is exactly what the problems were rather than just "it didn't work", you mention in your later post that you couldn't hear the response because of the car noise, was that about the headset, because the radio signal was poor or because there was no response to you?
Yep, lets not stray too far. "It did'nt work" is perhaps an oversimplification of the communications system. It's probably better to say "it falls short"

Specifically, as an Observer/Post Chief at Brands I do not have access to a radio. I have to use a telephone. Out at Sheene I had a basic shelter with a basic phone. I never had problems contacting race control, but a lot of the time I could not hear their response. I assumed that my message was clearly received and at the very least would alert somebody to check the camera. (Hmm that inceasing over reliance on cameras....)
My flag marshals had a radio - to be used as Gary says above. However I think it took 3 attempts on Sunday to get a workable combination of headset/unit. Even then, reception of control was patchy.

Nighthawk - yep, been there, done that, heard that response. (BTCC this year).

The points about interference on a wireless net are important. I was thinking about old cars and how they can interfere with radio. Likewise, radio traffic is not going to drop, so there will be more possible sources of interference out there. (Like there's always a minicab firm)

Maybe the wireless sytems are just too cutting edge for a circuit application. Anybody know more about this sort of thing? (MESH networks?)

Mini, the secure Bluetooth, it sounded good at the time, but will it add anything to the existing sytem, other than cost?

Seems like the consensus is favouring a loop for fixed points and improved radios for mobiles. We can only hope that MSVR think some investment is worth making.

Or am I just being one of those whinging troublemakers on that website that nobody reads?