View Single Post
Old 11 May 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2199586)   #37
Hagis
Rookie

Hagis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group A Toyota Corolla History

About Stig Gruen's Corolla, Jesper suggests that that model (3-door) might have been sold in Sweden too, however Stigs was bought in Denmark! I Don't think that Corolla with the "right" engine was sold in Sweden at all.
I helped Gruen at different races when I had no other comittments, and once I happend to meet him at Oulton Park, Easter 85(?). He was alone, so we helped him with "basics" to do. Think he made an easy bump into the tires in practise.
As Jesper writes, Stig was Swedish Group A Champion in 86 (at 60), beating the Volvo and VW teams. Remember at Knutstorp, it was a 1½ h. race and there were two compulsory pit stops, with two wheel changes and tank filling with jerrycan. We had prepared the can with an air release nipple to make it easier and faster. We did it all at the first stop, so the 2nd one was just a stop and go, and Stig finished 4thO/A among all bigger machinery.
For '87 Gruen planned to go the ETC, so as Toyota Denmark were closing down, Gruen asked Erik Höyer if he wanted to join the team. Erik said yes, and enjoyed to be in the "cosiness team" - his own expression. Erik also liked that Gruen was faster than John Nielsen (not that F-3 Nielsen) in Toyota DK had been. I don't think Erik was paid for the drives with Gruen, he just loved to drive fast saloons.
The car was gradually updated with some homologation goodies, most on the suspension. He also bought some expensive bigger brakes and hubs and wheels with center lock, but they were never put on the car, so the car most run with 14" ordinary ATS wheels. The first engine was made with bits from Fritzinger in Germany, but think he then also got things from Toms. He designed the camshafts himself.
When they raced together I think they managed with a couple of third places, as at Anderstorp '87. We had a record crew of 6 incl. the drivers, which was laucy as we got lots to do. The first practise Gruen did think 2 laps and was then missing the rest of the session. The bolts to the flywheel had broken off. John Nielsen turned up to tell "You have to have new bolts every time the flywheel is off". Of course he was right. We changed the engine for Erik to begin the 2nd session. After 2 laps he was missing. The engine had lost the oil pressure so he stopped. Gruen had taken off the swing damper on the lower pulley to make the car 1 or 2 kgs lighter, but that broke the oil pump. It was "impossible" to change the pump without taking the engine out and apart, but somehow we did it whith the engine still in the car. So for the 3 and final session they just had to do their obligatory laps each.
Yes, there are many memories turning up.
Regards, Hagis