View Single Post
Old 26 May 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2212084)   #10
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree about "Le Village" it was a great place for a beer in the ber Keller, find a bargain t shirt, look at the model cars and generally to take a break from the racing.

What is still there? Well grandstands, the LM clock, the concrete fencing all around, I think the old washing "trough" and shop in Houx are still standing (Seen briefly in the 1971 film). The area around Arnarge is fairly untouched (so far). The white house is still standing on the old circuit as are several bars and cafe's that housed the teams in days gone by.

Lost and missed are the funfair, village, tetre rouge, esses bit, the general sanitizing of the track and removal of trees, being able to buy a campsite ticket on the gate.

New and unloved, those huge steep concrete stairways all over the place the lack of trees that kept the noise of the cars in. Drivers now unable to "find" a can of fuel or the correct spanners and spare parts beside a tree when stuck on the track (Cheating OK yes, but part of the race)

New and liked, I hate to say it but the esses and sweep to tetre rouge is a good place to watch, the new pits are better (but lack the atmosphere of the old) no crowds in the village (wonder why?)

Still I will be there again in a few weeks!

Simon