View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2260344)   #22
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I agree that Dindo is getting up there in age, but what does that say about Pirro, who's a couple of years older than Capello, and still seems to have a few years left in him at Audi(granted, everyone is different, but still).

Also, Werner is like 42, isn't he? So he's starting to enter that age group, but it seems that he's faster than ever-probably to the point of challenging McNish, should he ever do a full ALMS season again.

I believe that Dindo most of this year has been a victim of some of his more agressive moves that have only worked about half the time, and simple, pure, un-alloyed bad luck. If he cranks back the agressiveness scale a little sometimes, half of the stuff that happened(Sebring, Monza, Lime Rock) wouldn't have. But luck also makes up a lot of it(Spa, Barcelona, and Mid Ohio). Dindo still has the speed I think, and Mid Ohio shows(by how he was able to keep up with Werner in traffic, and make up ground after he got spun out) shows that his skills are largely beyond redoubt(Mid Ohio, though seems to confirm how I feel about Gentlemen drivers-a pure and simple, un-alloyed boneheaded move caught Dindo out on that one).

Dindo may still have a few years in the ALMS/LMS, but within a few years, he'll scale back or retire completely. The remaining LMS rounds and anymore ALMS races he does(he'll likely run Mosport(but who with-Pirro or Nishy?), PLM, and maybe Laguna Seca) will likely tell the story here.

And it does seem doubtable now that Allan will run any additional ALMS races until next year, save perhaps PLM or if he and Audi change their minds and have run a couple of ALMS events late this year(after all, Audi hasn't made their Mosport intentions known, and it's sandwiched between Road America and Detroit-wouldn't they use Fassler just for continutity?)

That last statement hints at an experinced driver line-up for Mosport: Capello/Pirro, or perhaps(I'm not holding out hope, though) McNish/Capello, maybe even McNish/Pirro.