Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2268011)   #1
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obtaining working drawings of wheels

Hello everybody,

I suppose this could be perceived as more of a rant than a specific question, but I'll post nevertheless.

For the car we're building the braking system is to be completely replaced. AP Racing pedal box, master cylinders, calipers and discs are what will be used. With that comes the fact that nothing is 'bolt on.' The bells will be produced by a firm we are in contact with as well brackets for the radial mount calipers (the car's standard calipers are lug calipers) infact we're going to commission them to produce the lot so all we have to do is pay(!)

As everybody else does we'll be taking the uprights and wheels to the firm and leaving it to them to get on with the job. Except for the wheels which we have chosen to use won't be arriving from Japan until November. Ok.. so we'll just take the uprights along with a working drawing of the wheels we'll be using and let the guys get on with the job. No-can-do. The wheel manufacturer refuses to release drawings of the wheels. They won't say why, just that they 'don't offer that information.' Thus, we're stumped and it's going to put the whole project back 3 months! That'll set us back for the whole of next year as the first few test sessions with the car won't be completed until January instead of November, and any rebuilding if necessary will also have to take place then.

I really can't fathom out why they wouldn't have drawings available/want to release drawings. It seems really odd to me. Surely people asking a racing wheels manufacturer for drawings is a common occurance!?

Has anybody else had experiences like this?