Thread: Tyre Warmers
View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2338808)   #3
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When speaking to a race tyre manufacturer about wet tyres something along the lines of the following discussion occurred -

Me "What cold tyre pressures should I run in the wet"
Them "About what you need to run hot in the dry"
Me "But won't the tyres get hot and the pressure increase"
Them "If the tyres get hot you won't have any tyres left so it won't be a problem...."
Me "errrrr"
Them when they realised the response was possibly a bit 'negative' "They should not be getting hot enough to get a significant increase in pressure"

Fortunately being a fairly negative person myself and possessing an odd sense of humour I found the initial response blunt, to the point and very funny!

And two years practical experience proved the persons point. If wets get hot (usually through running in the dry) grip goes off, they start wearing out fast and they aren't nearly as good the next time you use them.

In a low power to weight ratio saloon they certainly don't feel like they are changing as the race progresses, unlike slicks which take me a couple of laps before I can 100% commit to corners.

So I'd say no you probably wouldn't need tyre warmers on the 'typical' set of wets a typical club racer would use.

No idea on mix and match, I don't have intermediates and would probably go for the 'worst case' if I was in any doubt. I'm a club racer and not hitting something is far more important than a slightly quicker lap time.