View Single Post
Old 7 Dec 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2349695)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Pigal
1.8 turbos sound OK to me but............it does sound as if they've done the usual "lop a couple of cylinders off" approach I can't see that anything from a 19000rpm NA V8 can have any relevance to a low revving (10000 rpm ???) turbo motor. If cost's the real issue here then the obvious thing to do is to look outside F1. Looking at the new Le Mans regs for example, 2 litre turbos, 6 cylinder limit, 500 to 550 bhp (dependant on air restrictor & boost limit) & they'll last 24hrs! Make up the power difference by upping the KERS power & you're there, a powertrain that'll last half a season, the same overall power as we've currently got, ticks some of the green boxes & you can sell the engines to Le Man teams to help pay for development.
Take Keith Duckworths fuel flow limiting valve to keep power in check & promote fuel efficiency. Sound so much more desirable than a grid of identical engines that cost an absolute fortune to make but you can't develop! or is it just me?
No its not you, but you're thinking along the lines FOTA should be thinking about.
I have wondered the same thing and it is as simple as anything but the FIA will not want anything too simple that is transparent and can't be meddled with. FOTA will think in its own terms, basically an exercise in preserving as much as what they already have.
Its about power and who is in control, not about common sense.

Your suggestions plus a rev limit of 15000 rpm would create a far more sustainable environment but they would argue that it wasn't challenging technically. Research and development is where the manufacturers draw their budgets from so the 'boffins' want to play it their way.

Last edited by Teretonga; 7 Dec 2008 at 18:05.