View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2353021)   #52
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Y
That reminds me of a vaguely-related question that I've been meaning to ask for some time...

What's easier to change the temperature of - a gas like air, or a liquid like petrol? i.e. for the same volume.

I'm guessing the gas would be, due to lower density? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
'Fraid that's a bit of a nonsense of a question Chris. Think about it... a cubic meter of air weights 1.2kg, a cubic meter of petrol weights about 740kg. So when you say "easier" are you asking how big a heater you would need to change the temperature? Or how long it would take at a given heat transfer rate? Or how big a heat exchanger you would need to change the temperature at the same at the same rate?

Basically liquids conduct heat much better than gasses so can be heated/cooled more easily, but they're a lot more dense so need a lot more energy to effect the same temperature change.

Last edited by dtype38; 11 Dec 2008 at 21:06.