Old 28 Jan 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2381721)   #61
giffo
Rookie

Australia
Perth - West Australia
giffo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
a steel crank for the cost of a holiday in Oz
A friend of mine brought a Hewland FT200 back from England as luggage so I don't see why not.
If you have been offered 2 L18 cranks, grab them, even if you don't do anything with them for some time. They are not likely to show up that often. Even here you need to go looking for a suitable one.
When I had a Datto 1600 20 years ago I was falling over bits, now like all things Kent they are getting harder to find the parts you want.
As for machining, I'd expect any competent machine shop could do it given the right instructions & details, which you have in the above link. I'm talking about an engineering firm (fitter/turners) not an engine rebuilder. Remember also that you will need a flywheel made & a couple of dowels added. The Datto is only a 5 bolt connection.
I'm not likely to back out to the wk shop for a couple weeks but assuming I remember I'll place the datto crank on a 711m block, take a photo & then post it here for your reference.
Of the L18, L16 cranks I've seen finish machined (Only a couple) they have been finished off very nicely & certainly don't look like a "make it fit" job. A good method of assisting in getting it right is to find a rubbish Cosworth or Steel one to use as a sample. This will help in getting the Counter weights to a more reasonable size. That is how it was done here.
Given what you have said about your regs at dia 83.25 bore & L18 crank will give you 1698.5cc & at dia 83.5 bore 1708.7cc. Will that put you out side of your allowed spec?