Old 31 Jan 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2383045)   #281
free-litre-v6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lakenheath, Suffolk, where else!!
free-litre-v6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaCrew

He's selling a club though, and is not alone in doing that in here. As grids diminish, the louder this will get across the board.

I would agree that Al certainly recommends a place to race as i would do, but only as say Rod.B. would recommend the MSN saloon series or Pete. M. may shout about the Masters, you race where you prefer, and maybe pick up some newbies or others wanting a change along the way! and why not talk about where you race, simple really, what suits some, may not suit others.

However, I can't remember who it was, but there was a quote some years ago (the original Mr Foulston?) who said crowds are interested in starts and finishes only. I tend to agree, the longer distance races where excitement is held to the end are rare indeed..
You may of heard this before, but I believe the only circuit to get it right with the spectators through the gate on a club event is Castle Coombe, every meeting is annouced through the correct media channels, weeks and sometimes months ahead, certainly all the local radio stations giving free tickets for entry on phone-in competitions the local paper has a double page spread the week before, they really do go to town literally, but there again its not rocket science is it!! you only have to drive past quarry and camp corners once to realise it works!!!!
As for spectators staying the duration, i think its roughly the same say between the masters 45 min race and a ctcrc 20 min sprint race, it widely depends on the area and weather, with any type of racing if its a sunny day people will stay around, strolling through the paddock or chilling out on the grass banks, if they didn't like the racing atmosphere they wouldnt be there in the first place!! there not going to go home because a race is too long once they are there!!! THE END!!