Old 16 Feb 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2398468)   #104
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
How many drivers are there in GP2? How many of them dream of F1 careers? How many of them actually get the chance? How big holes in your pockets does running in GP2 give you, especially if you do not succeed?

If one factors in how many drivers that want to also get to F1 in the series, the success/failure rate, I think the picture is less clearly in GP2s favour. Also add how much money they earned/lost in the process running GP2 vs DTM, and I think DTM -> F1 doesnt look a whole lot worse over all.

But of course, if you do rise to the top of GP2, competing vs a whole grid full of people with their eyes set on F1, it's a larger door opener than DTM for sure. But if you only end up in the mid field, you just flushed down your F1 dreams in the toilet spending a lot of your money doing it.
I agree.
F1 is not the universe. Jimmy, do you think Capello, Kristensen, Priaulx, Yvan Muller, Loeb and so many great drivers who raced in other series rather than Formula One wasted their talent? Dtm drivers get paid to race, are professional drivers and when they look back at their career they can be proud of having reached such a high profile series. Many drivers in F1 get paid less than those who race in Dtm and have less chances to win. Maybe racing in a Force India and scoring no points is not a higher point in one's career than winning the Dtm series.