View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2424951)   #21
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I wonder how much the series is able to do fiscally to aid teams to bring extra cars. Atherton definitely discussed encouraging teams to use economies of scale to run extra cars for the health of the series, and indicated that teams responded. I hope that the series has not had to resort to 'encouraging' in the Tony George model.

I think that they recognize that this is a very tough year for their product in North America, and probably for racing on the continent as a whole. I think just keeping the series stable this year is a worthy goal, and for now they seem to be succeeding.
More GT cars are good, but they desperately need a couple of prototypes. I think Dr. Panoz is putting his money where his mouth is with the second Esperante. Even if he has no intentions of building an LMP car, his talk of it may calm others regarding the stability of the series... Atherton said the series is cash flow positive, so it is in no imminent danger of collapse.