View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2436104)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Me neither.

On one hand the current GT1 was an exotica car fans dream with the hardware available although ultimately restricting the entry levels to privateers (or privateer plus in some cases!) prevented manufacturers getting heavily involved. Thus kept costs down to a degree but surely it also deterred the car makes from continually developing the cars or new models which most other big series need to succeed.

The new regs will stop them getting involved for diferent reasons, namely them already being involved in either GT2 or LMP1/2 as already suggested by some posters.

However I always liked the idea of current GT1 with makes building the cars (or letting people build them under licence) and then selling them to professional private entrants, which GT2 and GT3 seems to have done more successfully albeit using slower and less specatacular cars imo.

My only real problem with it at this stage is the prospect of 1 hour races.......what on earth?

I don't really want to see another silhouette based series but if there's a big enough entry list, plenty of different cars and sounds and the racing is good maybe it will be good? But in that case Ratel might as well have got in touch with the DTM organisers and made a new series with them!!