View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2446363)   #9
Just-Right
Rookie

Just-Right should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmanite View Post
Could you elaborate on the circle structures just-right? Are you referring to something like the holes cut in the tub of a Miura?

The similarity of specific modulus isn't a deal-breaker, if I understand the mechanics of it: If you have a sheet of 1mm aluminum and of 1mm steel, the steel will be three times heavier and three times stiffer. A 2mm piece of aluminum will two thirds the weight of the 1mm steel, but also 1/3 more stiff.

Regarding corrosion, the higher strength alloys are not particularly corrosion resistant.

Thanks to all for your contributions, highly appreciated.

The holes I'm referring to are more or less like the above. They reduce the dents that occur when using unsupported sheets, they also add rigidity. However an internally supporting structure like honeycomb or something similar is way better.

The point regarding the specific modulus isn't that refreshing. I am just pointing out that a sheet of 3mm aluminium has the same weight and stiffness of an 1 mm steel sheet. However when looking at availability of small sizes I would favour aluminium over steel. Not to mention the procentual impact of corossion on the effective surface.

Both aluminium and stainless steel can form a thin film of corrosion products also known as passivation. High strength steel and aluminium is a whole new chapter and not all that applicapable to sheet moncoques other than the bulkhead. High strength alloys or super alloys are more used for machined parts like uprights and sort.

I would reckon that using clever box sections and profiles is way more effective than using costly materials.

Does anybody have pictures of the various box profiles and connections used within these monocoques? We could maybe start something about design strategies?