View Single Post
Old 5 May 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2456131)   #44
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
I've played around a bit, but have to be honest - I don't really know what adjusting "deadzone" or the sensitivities is supposed to do.
Dead zone is easy enough. Think of the full travel of the stick as the line below;

|----------------|----------------|

The vertical bars are full left / centre / full right. Deadzone is the bit in the middle that determines how far you must move the stick before the game picks up on it and starts to move the steering in game. Its usually shown as a percentage of full travel from left to right.

|------------|------|-------------|

Thats a fairly large deadzone, meaning you need to move from centre to the 1st vertical before the game will recognise the fact you are asking it to steer. Its most helpful when you have a stick / wheel that doesn't always return to dead centre and helps to avoid drift on straights.

Sensitivities are probably described best as a percentage of full travel required to perform full lock in game. A higher sensitivity will mean that less reallife stick / wheel movement is required to go to full lock in game. On a pad especially, because the reallife movement is quite small the sensitivity will be crucial in being able to obtain a fine degree of control in game, and i think this is where you are having issues.

If you are finding that even small pad input is making you "dart" across the track and are unable to have fine control over where the car goes, i'd suggest changing the sensitivity and reducing it. Its always a personal taste as to how you prefer it (GT4 i have a high sesitivity, especially on the rally tracks, but in rfactor i prefer it quite low) but that sounds like the kind of issue you have right now.

Hope that helps!