View Single Post
Old 9 May 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2458562)   #121
Tom87
Racer

England
Tom87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that Pescarolo wouldn't have the same spec level car as the factory team? That could have been my imagination though.
Likewise I'm only quoting from memory, but I'm sure I read something about '08 spec internals with the '09 spec aero package.

I think the issue with the performance balancing between diesel and petrol is that both the only true big budget teams are both running diesel making it impossible to judge the relative advantage of the two engine alternatives.

As for this weekend I would say the times are around where they ought to be. The 908 has 3+ years of development and a massive budget, compared to brand new, lower budget cars from Aston, Oreca and Pescarolo, so it ought to be at least a little quicker!

Perhaps in the future if there is a more even spread of private and manufacturer teams and fuel options it will be easier to make it fair. If Audi ran a petrol and Oreca ran a Diesel then comparison would be easier as you would expect the Oreca & Pescarolo/Aston and the Peugeot and Audi to be equally matched given their relative budgets and car development.

All that said, the crucial lap times will come tomorrow, assuming Peugeot dares to show its hand to Audi - I doubt anyone thinks we've seen their ultimate pace and it may still be a country mile ahead of the petrol cars.