View Single Post
Old 30 May 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2472283)   #24
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Domenicali's idea of cost cutting seems to be along the lines of limiting the number of parts that you can use in a season.It doesn't actually stop you from spending millions of Euros on each part though does it.

"Then, further reductions have been defined in the area of aerodynamics, with restrictions imposed on the amount of development work, for example, restricting the number of different wings that can be used during the course of the championship."

And I'm sure that 6.5 million Euros will not get you a competetive engine and gearbox package.

"First and foremost, our starting point is the decision already taken by FOTA, to make available to the independent teams an engine-gearbox package at a cost of 6.5 million Euros for the entire season."

Read: It's yours for 6.5 mil Euros,but don't expect it to be up to our spec.

Full article.http://http://www.autosport.com/news...t.php/id/75722

We can only hope that the FIA go with the 'Mercedes plan'.
I think with the engines frozen 6.5 million Euros WILL get a competitive drive train. (They are close to that figure this year I believe, Brawn anyone??? )The compromise that FOTA has come up preserves the technical integrity of F1. The average fan does not want to see spec cars but at the same time doesn't care or notice if the teams have different aero bits for EVERY race. It sounds like the teams may ban certain materials and standardize some parts to help costs as well. All in all, the solution FOTA has (the little we know of it) is much better than Mosley's. IMO it's not about Max or FOTA "winning", it is about re-creating an F1 that is sustainable but still suitable for privateers AND manufacturers. In that case Max's goal of getting costs down has been a success. It is too bad we have to deal with all the politics of getting to a sensible compromise. I think you are correct in thinking the FIA's response could be equally surprising. Either way, I feeling better about where all this is heading compared to a couple of weeks ago.