Thread: Rumours Dorna to help FOTA! ???
View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2478702)   #5
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
FOTA is not lost without FIA guidance, but can they actually agree on what they want to do and how to do it.

In reality the members of FOTA sank many of the reforms that could have helped the sport when the FIA tried to reform F1 previously so what makes anyone think they can effectively run an entire series independently by themselves?

Many of their present grievances are poorly disguised attempts to maintain the present advantages and monopoly they have over the private and independent teams.

I would like to believe they could run an effective series in unity but I just don'r see it happening. CART was owner run and operated until the IPO when it became a public company. Then it got into serious managment problems and Tony George's IRL didn't help.

The FOTA manufacturers here will never be as united as the CART owners were 1980-1995 so is it likely to work?

How much will they charge promoters?
Will they be able to extract enough money from TV to make it financially viable for them?
Will independents enter if they have to run at the back and be dominated by the ruling manufacturers?
What happens when most of the manufacturers leave due to a financial crisis?
Is this a future for Grand Prix?

Personally I doubt it and I think many of those who advocate that this is the way are doing so out of their support for whichever of the present teams that is a FOTA member. But I don't think it is a sustainable way to go for the long term future of the sport.