Thread: Costs...
View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2493878)   #153
onenastyviper
Rookie

onenastyviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough but how do you control a variable cost, more importantly, what are our variable costs?

I can think of only race entry, testing and tyres and only tyres are controllable but to what extent?

Do we try and find a 'cheaper' alternative and save by increments or perhaps limit the number of tyres used per season, maybe both?

Firstly, why should we change tyres? maybe we are thinking about this backwards. If we introduce a tyre limit, those who have been testing in the past will still have a good setup based upon their tyre testing. Introducing a tyre limit would still allow them to run at the top. If we introduce a new race tyre, the top teams will then concentrate on testing to find a good setup with these tyres and would probably determine this quicker than the rest of us by nature of going testing more often. Either way, the top teams still have an advantage.

If people seriously want to cut the cost of tyres then a single set should be made to last a season, renewable each season. Punctures are singly replaced and only after scrutineers OK (tyre serial logging etc.).

Perhaps one set nominated for qualifying and one for race to even out wear or one set for dry, one for wet? We have no official testing policy, so the top teams can and will still throw set after set onto a car and test. Unless you plan to introduce a testing ban or official session testing only...yeah right!

So, I still don't understand which cost you are trying to cut. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it, this is what I understood from day one when I bought my car and went out onto the track. I have a budget which I can 'currently' afford. It does not allow me to go testing at every race nor does it allow me to buy a new set of tyres for each race nor can I enter every race (oulton park only at the moment).

This is a club, nowhere is it written that you 'must' enter every race and be competitive and run up at the front and get as many points as possible for you to secure the championship.

So I ask again, where are the costs being incurred?