View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2495436)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
If it is the green/white one I understand it cost substantially more to build. The point is that unlike an E Type there were very few originals and the componentry was generally bespoke so if you want to build one now, apart from the base shell you are starting totally from scratch. Cosworth designed the GAA specifically for the car and built (as I understand it) only 100 kit form engines so you're also into casting new crankshafts etc.
Simon, I can only confirm what Peter has said- The 1974 RS3100 (Cologne) Capri was / is an amazing piece of kit. When Ford asked Cosworth to develop the GAA, they initially tried using a standard block. After that didn't work even it had to be redesigned. The lucky people who have engines or parts now are not letting them go. Vince Woodman had problems with his at Donington and it is now in bits again! The cooling system is all in the rear w/arches, the axle and gearbox have pumps & rads also, the wheels are 16" centrelocks, the brakes are massive..........

But- If you are ever near one when it is being started from cold, get close and enjoy one of the most evil sounding engines ever!

The engine was also used for F5000, and I think possibly more than the initial 100 parts sets were made, but they are still very rare.