View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2498824)   #35
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
As much as anything, the new configuration has fouled things up royally at Lime Rock. They made No Name Straight shorter, and the turn at the end of it tighter. So you're a bit slower coming in to attempt to overtake, have to panic brake more, and it's made that swing over to driver's left to get a good line a good bit more critical. The West Bend chicane doesn't create overtaking potential within a given class, especially with those tires right there. It ruins a great corner, creates more scope to crash and tear up cars, and makes The Downhill faster because it's now flat for the prototypes. They were saying that that final turn was perhaps too hazardous because of the speed, and now they've gone and made it quicker if anything.

I think they've worked out a lot of the pitch sensitivity issues with the LMPs, so the place would probably be less apt for crashes if they just let the guys loose on the unchicaned, 1.53-mile, original course.

I think the reason they changed it was not enough run off area and repaving it in it's old configuration would only make it faster and effective run off even less. Double edged sword I suppose.

Last years race was good though, Brabs mad round the outside overtake on Bernard!