View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2502424)   #254
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Warm welcome Nick, good to have on board a further person who might be able to add to the work in progress!!

Yes you're right about Wishart's doing Spice's earlier cars; Mk1's as well as 2's I think? This is something I wasn't aware of until a couple of years ago. Wishart's was effectively like an 'RS' dealer or something wasn't it? Sort of car sales with a racing sideline, equivalent to Brooklyn's later on I would imagine?

Revealingly, Gordon reckons (in the recent book) that he was one of the movers behind CC starting up in 1977....Significant indded considering the success at Spa and all the Tricentrol wins he had with the red cars that CC built for him.

Again you raise good questions about the likely start date for CC chassis builds, something we have queried but not yet confirmed.

If the first Spice car, a Mk2, was a CC car; then Jeff Allam's '78 car probably was as well. Same for the Colin Vandervell/Gerry Marshall Triplex car. It's likely that a fair few Mk2's were given Mk3 cosmetics sometime in 1978 meaning that the first pukka Mk3 might not have been until a bit later on in the number sequence. We'll get to know more sometime I guess!

I suppose that to begin with there was only a select number of customers in 1977, Spice and one or two other's? so by the time the MK3 was launched, CC may only have built a handful of Mk2's, 3,4 cars maybe? This would likely mean that the first proper Mk3 still has a relatively 'low' single digit CC chassis number, CC5/6 onwards perhaps?

Last edited by chunterer; 15 Jul 2009 at 19:51.