View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2532322)   #59
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
fuel for one is far better than it was 20 years ago
Dunno about that! Cars like the early Rover V8's left the factory with very high compressions and had to be run on 5 star which was phased out and caused problems.

As far as where is an Historic cut off because of the electronics involved on modern machinery well if SR's for the series allowed they can be bypassed and back engineered onto traditional carbs as is already happening in some series. I have done as much on my 87 IROC-Z.

Talking about original cars or not years ago when I worked at Roger Nathans they were building the Astras and I used to go down to a boat yard to collect the wooden monoque. The rest of the car was fabricated in a tiny workshop from basically various diameters of steel tube, the uprights were bought in and were probably off something else and the fibreglass panels were moulded from pucks made in alloy by some very clever ex-Aston Martin guys and that was it. Now if that car caught light all you would have left would be the front and rear subframes and they would be twisted with th eheat the rest would be cinders so where would you go from there if you were to rebuild as the car would in essence have to be brand new and infact a continuation.

Quote:
as it is difficult to get too passionate about a Sierra 500 etc and other series
There are some guys racing in our Pre-93's and TTRS (pre-94) that would violently disagree there Simon, I do personally think stuff like Cossies and M3's are iconic and have a very big following for the historic driver of the future and now.