View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2532340)   #63
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey, I've only been away a couple of days, and this has really kicked off. It's difficult to accuse anyone of taking this thread off topic since JR's original post was pretty wide ranging. I have lots to say really, but it may have to wait. However, in the meantime:-

1) It is inevitable that some repetition of subjects is going to arise - eg cheating and enforcing regs, because until the issue is resolved, it'll keep arising.
2) I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the use of the word 'mafia' in this context because, apart from the connotations, it is clear that one poster's view of who 'our' mafia is, is different to another's. So who do we mean when we use the word, because, I sure as hell don't know. It's true and inevitable, that there are factions, with their own preferences in 'Historics', and I can't see why people are not allowed to discuss their preferences. If the particular subject is not an area of your 'interest', don't post.
3) When we are discussing particular events, I would like everybody involved in historic racing, in whatever capacity, whether it is driver, organiser, club official, marshal, owner, prepper, spectator, to contribute; yes even the drivers of Safety/Course cars, because, for me, it all adds flavour and info. about that particular event. We are documenting them in a way that more structured forms such as magazines and news/reporting websites cannot possibly emulate since they have word/space constraints that we don't have. As I have said before, I occasionally find it a bit soul destroying when I put on a whole sequence of posts covering an event without any response/input from anyone else. I am however, encouraged to see more and more photos from other posters; keep them and your comments coming.

I know that only addresses some of the issues but I think that it is enough from me, for now.