View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:55 (Ref:257346)   #11
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That old chestnut. Forgive the repeat but I posted the following description of that a few months ago.

"For sheer drama though the windowless, bonnet up GT3 Porsche from 2000 takes my prize.

Fabio Babini came in (already without a screen - I think) for a routine stop within sight of the finish, lying 2nd in class (actually first in reality as the Dick Barbour Porsche was later disqualified). He reached the end of the pit lane and the bonnet flew up completely blocking his view. So he drove round the circuit at high speed hanging out of the door to reach his pit eight and a half miles later. Quick strapping down of the bonnet to great cheers and he exits to start a wheel banging battle to the flag with the ultimate class winner the Taisan GT3, sadly to go into the kitty litter somewhere (near the FOrd chicane?) on the penultimate lap. All for nothing.

I for one was delighted that he returned to win the class in the 2001 race (in the Seikel GT3 Porsche) after a very close battle again with the Freisinger GT3 Porsche (even out distancing the GTS Corvettes!!!)."