View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2578148)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Possibly I'm the only soul on this forum who likes GT4.
Nope, I really enjoyed them at Zolder this summer and the races from the Netherlands I watched on the cpz-website looked quite interesting as well.

Quote:
It might not be the most exciting from an engineers point of view, but it's affordable, the cars are reasonably well matched with races that are very close and a lot of different winners throughout the championship (at least in Dutch GT4). Furthermore the cars are more exciting as some of the championship cars they replace (BMW 130i cup in the Netherlands) and finally I wouldn't exclude the possibility that it might occasionally trigger a manufacturer to bring more motorsport oriented models on the general market.
With GT3 costs already getting pretty much out of hand (2010 Audi R8 LMS: 298.000€ + VAT + spares), GT4 might become the standard for national series somewhere around 2012.

Quote:
This leads me to the recently introduced M3 GTS. This car seems to have GT racing written all over it and it could fit right into the GT4 class with very little modifications. This gives me good vibes, very motorsport oriented models road legal and raced close to standard spec. I like it as long as costs don't run out of hand.
To me, the GTS has "homologation special" written all over it, and I am not sure if that's a good thing. The regular M3 GT4 as already been reasonably competitive, so I don't really see the need for an upgrade.
In a way the car reminds me very much of what Alfa Romeo did in the mid-90s in Supertouring One year later, racing wings were legalized, and I am not sure if that's what GT4 needs...

On the other hand: If GT4 is indeed to replace GT3 on the national level, adding wings might go a long way towards making the cars more exciting for the general public.

Last edited by Speed-King; 8 Nov 2009 at 10:47. Reason: typos