View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2009, 00:29 (Ref:2586149)   #11
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new line is cool, I'd call it "preppy grunge". They will sell a lot of shirts to 15-25 year old men, most of whom will buy a cool looking shirt and not pay attention along with their $30.

Izod has out clauses, and will not announce the total investment. Teams are getting like $100K each on the dole, I'll call that $2M. Reay probably didn't get more than $2M or he'd have a seat.

What surprised me about the announcement was the video they showed of all the Macy's personal appearances they had staged last year. None of that came up on searches I had previously done, other than the Indy splash in NYC.

So they already made a "big spend" on promotions, and maybe they sold clothes but they didn't sell much IndyCar. Next year they'll spend a few million more on ad buys, that's about it. The commercials won't get past Versus and other Comcast networks, and ABC. And with the adversarial attitude that ESPN and Versus have, the ABC spots will probably end when their part of the 2010 IndyCar schedule does. Comcast/ NBCU won't be approved until 2011, even if it does happen.

So any rose colored tint was exagerrated, and was immediately followed with all the news about the cutbacks at IMS and IRL, and the Marlboro contractions. None of the other key issues have gotten more than lip service, and the reporting of developments is all being spoon fed to the public via Curt's Shilling.

Blink.