View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2596086)   #72
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I wasn't impressed by the airport vehicle racing, it stank far too much of "here we go again". It was already done with the people carriers and the buses
Don't forget camper vans as well. It was another rehash of the same idea and a very poor one at that. As Stephen says, BBC have been sitting on this footage for a good 6 months. Given that there was so little build-up and minimal promo I wonder if they realised how poor it was.

Quote:
While I understand the objections about the destruction of a nice car, I would guess (although I don't know for certain) that the Twingo was given to them by Renault for that purpose only.
Ford spent a lot of money providing multiple cars for the Fiesta film last year, including one specially modified to be able to drive out of the sea. I've no doubt Renault were equally involved in this film. I'm sure they see it all as good PR but even before they ditched it in the sea I was questioning why they were smashing up a perfectly good car. Following on from my comment on the airport racing above, wasn't this just a rehash of the Fiesta film. At least they admitted as much.

Quote:
So not only will Mr Needham have all the facts and technical specifications...
You think that was a genuine letter of complaint?

Overall it was a poor show even by Top Gear standards. The news section they used to at least try to make an effort, now it's just an excuse for a stand-up routine - 5 mins of carefully scripted spontaneity and knob gags.

As for the Star in as RP Car, have they excused the supply of interesting guests? It's become an excuse for someone to plug their latest film / DVD / CD / book / etc.