View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2602082)   #121
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt View Post
If i get what i wish, we will have a strong Le Mans World Series, with the best circuits of north-america, europe and asia, and, why not, australia, africa and south-america. Otherwise, i don't know what you are talking about!

My European self? Where did you saw on my comments that i want the best pilots and the best teams in the Le Mans Series? Speak for yourself...
Do you know the meaning or the concept of 'International' or 'Intercontinental'? On my dictionary it's not Europe... maybe over there in states you have different English dictionaries...

America is a large market, but it's not THE market! What market will be lost if the LMIC will race in America? You over there just watch races organized by yourself? If the ALMS dies, it's your fault, or you really think that you can have an series just with manufacture entries? Look to what happen to F1! Not even they could do it... Make way for the privateers. We have relied on them and the LMS is still standing up!
A few questions for you:

If you "get what you wish" with races on multiple continents, exactly how many of those "privateers" will be able to afford to go to all points of the globe to participate?

Didn't FIA-GT, then later the LMS try to do a race in Brazil? Boy, the LMS sure had BIG numbers of privateers participate in that, didn't it?

Even with Petit Le Mans being an "Automatic Bid' if you win your class, how many of the European privateers even bother to make that trip? Not enough to amount to a glob of spit...that's how many show up...

Yet you still want to see this stupid world championship that will be enormously expensive for teams, thus it will lack any meaningful participation because they can't afford the trips, and will undercut the other Series in other parts of the world that help to support the ACO's ultimate goal to grow sportscar racing.

Back when the old FIA sportscar series existed and had few competitors, I urged the ACO to form the LMS under its banner, and I think it was a great move...

I just can't understand why the ACO chooses to do this NOW, when it should be done when the sport is strong enough to sustain it as opposed to doing it in the midst of a deep worldwide recession...

I will close with this...

The LMS season events (keep Le Mans out of this...separate, showcase event) have many more cars participating, but do not draw even remotely close to as many fans in attendance at the events as North American sportscar races attract to race weekends....not even close.

In fact, Sebring and Petit both draw over 100,000 fans each (Sebring closer to 200,000), Mid-Ohio comes close to 90,000-100,000, Mosport draws 75,000+, and the list goes on and on...

Why screw over an ACO-affiliated series that grows your fanbase for sportscar racing and for Le Mans by undercutting it?

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 18 Dec 2009 at 20:30.

One American Open Wheel Series!