Old 12 Feb 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2632353)   #65
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
VolvoGroupA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
According to the '86 Bathurst annual, the Australian team used 3 cars in '86- the original Petch car, a new car built locally from a road car shell, and an RHD unraced test car supplied from Sweden- this is presumably the RAS car you mention.

I hadn't realised RAS took over both the Eggenberger and Magnum cars- I guess that accounts for the third car seen at Estoril late-season for Mauro Baldi and Per-Gunnar Andersson?
Thats correct yes, The AVDT had 3 cars, two RH and one LH. The LH car was the former Mark Petch Volvo from 1985. RH car no1 (#10,#42) was built by R.A.S in 1985 as a test car for trying out the RH for the R.A.S Belgium team but didn't come to use then sold to AVDT, and RH car no2 (#44), as you said was built locally based on a 242GT shell actually.

Yes they took over these two cars, mostly to save time! There wasn't enough time to build two brand new cars in such short time in time the ETC 1986. And if I should be totally correct with the detail about the #26 car that Peggen Andersson and Mauro Baldi drove on Estoril -86, they didn't driver under the R.A.S team but under Volvo Motorsport itself, some kind of cooperation between the two teams so to say. And this was the 1985 Magnum Racing car. Details like the rollcage can tell this.