View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2637998)   #44
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
But I spoke too soon about accomidations. They fell through. At this point I'm finding not a single available room in the city. The only one I've found so far is Econo Lodge, but they have a rule starting March 17 (the day I arrive) that they will only book for a 5 night minimum (I'm staying for 4). One hotel was $113 a night the week before and $399 a night the week of! Is that even legal? Looks like I may be staying 30 or so miles away at the moment. That's quite a bit of additional miles added to this treck. But neither hell nor high water will stop this train from rolling in to town.
Wecome to race week. Badger and Mountainstar are giving good advice, check with the chamber as people will register house, condo, room.

You can also extend your hotel/motel search out further, but at some point you will get at 60 plus mile radius to save money, but end up spending a lot of time on the road going back and forth, which will be draining---and is not the greatest thing to do after the race is over.

I don't know what vehicle you have, is it possible to sleep in that? Baring that, you can get camping set up for not bad money and camp at the track, where you can fall asleep to a generator five feet from your ear all night long

There are showers at the track, for a fee. You can usually buy ice as vendors roam around selling it. You can find food at the track along the midway and in paddock, if you don't want to add to the camping experiece with a stove.

If two of you in party, I would guess you could do really basic outfitting for camping, basic tent, couple of sleeping bags, and some sundry stuff, for maybe $125 all up?

Do you know anyone that has camping stuff that you could borrow?

It won't kill you, and it will add to the experience!