View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2010, 03:34 (Ref:2642423)   #54
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Ahem, PLM is 1000 MILES, and is run on a circuit of 2.54 miles (Road Atlanta). That makes it shorter than all but two of the circuits that LMS has used: Jarama (2.392 miles) and Valencia, Ricardo Tormo (2.489 miles). And this season, Laguna Seca (2.238 miles) is hosting a 6-hour race for the ALMS.

I'm not sure which of those circuits would be "too far" from big cities. Not to mention, what would be your definition of a "big city"? I mean, Road America is a couple of hours away from any major cities in its region, but it gets good crowds.

Bullet train service, at least in Japan, should make any of those five circuits not too much of a hassle to get to. Also, if you market well, and get people excited about the race, they will travel quite some distance to see it, if you've done your job right. Just to clue you in, Road America is probably the closest ALMS venue to where I live, and that's a roughly 13-hour drive each way; I made the trip with family for the 4-hour, ALMS races in 2007 and 2008.

I will add that there is a proposal, no details as of yet, for a circuit in Nelson, New Zealand. Given the designer, I suspect it will be a Grade 2 circuit, which would make it theoretically an option of the AsLMS.