View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2673426)   #358
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The income issue becomes important when, not if, the **** hits the fan, and the building frenzy grinds to a halt because capacity far outstrips any possible demand for decades to come. When that happens, the Chinese government is going to be looking for money to spend on far more critical things than motorsport. So, I wouldn't have a great deal of confidence in the real longevity of any Chinese round that might come out of the woodwork in the current climate.

Heck, even with the building craze still going, China wants out of the F1 contract early, because of how much they're losing paying the annual sanction fee, and how much they've already lost on the track construction. Shanghai can't really pay for itself because of the sanction fee, and the fact that rents for anyone else to use it are so high that next to nobody else uses the place.

Cmk, with the inter-class traffic as it is, I'm concerned enough already with what could go wrong this year at Mosport with a regular ALMS round. And before you talk about Lime Rock cramming in ~30 cars, remember that the turns at Mosport are quite a bit faster and more line sensitive. The Downhill is the fastest turn at Lime Rock (~130-140mph for LMPs). At Mosport, Turns 1, 2, 4, and 6-8 are all faster than that, and Turn 9 is close to that sort of speed as well.

It's more likely that something goes wrong at Mosport than Road America, and Mosport already has a major black mark in international sportscar racing from the Manfred Winkelhock crash in 1985, and the next time the WSC returned to Canada, this time at Montreal in 1990, there was the whole Jesus Pareja/manhole cover incident. Another reason that I chose Elkhart Lake though, was timing. Mosport is a week closer to Silverstone, and July/August in the ALMS is tightly packed enough as it is without trying to perhaps move Mosport back a week.

Last edited by Purist; 16 Apr 2010 at 02:54.