View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2679788)   #31
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have had performance balancing for some time now and I fully understand the reasons for it but have to say I am not convinced that it can ever be totally fair.

The formula cars in single seater races are the best we have in terms of equal equipment and in sportscars a formula can be laid down in LMP terms but this gets screwed up when we involve more than one fuel type. Where production cars are concerned I really don't know how you do it unless engine size and weight/tyresize/ride height etc are stipulated. No restrictions on engine size is always going to give you problems.

To make decisions based on subjective performance tests, no matter who does the driving is certainly going to give rise to complaints and gamesmanship.

What is wrong with setting predetermined restictor sizes based on engine capacity and stipulate homologated production engines, gearboxes and minimum weights, perhaps a control fuel and bodywork as showroom?