View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2724027)   #525
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Mulsanne Mike says it's zero keel, Acura/HPD said it was zero keel, so that's what I'm going by, as well as the fact that the R15's lower wishbones attach to the lower sides of the tub through what look to be flexures like on the Acura, and there is a noticable upward angle from the hub assembly to the tub pickup points, like on zero-keel F1 cars.

The only way for the R15's monocoque to have that extreme raised nose it has is with the zero keel.

Also, the Toyota TF105 series isn't a very good example, since it still had a keel(the protorusion on the lower nose), it just wan't being used, while the R15, ARX-02, and most post-2006 F1 cars didn't even have a front keel.

The reason for the R15 and the ARX-02 having the zero keel is to improve air flow from the front diffuser and down the sides of the cars-the R15 photo even shows a couple of small barge boards mounted under and behind the front brake ducts/shrouds. Also, at the rear, the zero keel improves rear diffuser air flow.

However, as I said, it can come at a price as far as camber recovery and asscioated issues if set up improperly.

Maybe the tech forum is where the zero keel question is best answered, but since it involves Audi vs Peugeot and the ILMC, I'm asking if zero keel is a bust for Audi?