View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2742805)   #4
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
Sunny Southern California
propracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Allen:
Peter Broeker never built another car after the Stebro Mk4 - F1 car.

In 1964 Peter installed a 1 litre engine to compete in the European F2 series. Considering that Peter was around 220 lbs and was using a standard customer engine some of his F2 results are actually quite astonishing. His immediate competition were factory entries driven by young, very talented and light drivers.

In 1965 Peter installed a twin cam into the Mk 4 and participated in many FLibre and FB races. They proved to be a formidable combination as he ended up winning over 90% of the races entered. The Stebro Mk4 featured a few different engine covers throughout it's career and in 1965 Peter also modified the front end slightly to accept a larger radiator to keep that twin cam cool. He also changed the aluminium bodywork around the front of the cockpit slightly at that time.

The end of the Stebro Mk4's racing career came against a banking at Mont Tremblant in 1968. Peter rebuilt the car, but found the handling to be suspecious and switched to Chevrons. It was later proven that Peter had missed some chassis cracks during his repairs and hence the car no longer handled the way it did initially.

As Peter raced Chevrons into the 1970's, he still took the old Stebro Mk4 (sporting 1965 bodywork) along on race week-ends to use as an advertising display for his Stebro aftermarket exhaust company. Along with the car he used 3 large display boards that tell the story of the Stebro Mk 4 in his words and pictures. I have those original boards in my posession.

He painted the Chevrons in the same black and white scheme as the Stebro Mk 4, hence some people confuse the Chevron with the Stebro Mk 4 in 1965 FB bodywork configuration, which look very much alike.

I hope this helps.

As I said, any help is greatly appreciated to find a rear shot of the car at the 1963 US GP at Watkins Glen.

Kind regards,
Luc