View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2757089)   #74
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Johns usually doesn't get his facts straight, but Honda has in fact stepped to sponsor the remaining two races on the Barber contract. That surprises me: if Honda continues to subsidize IRL sactioning fees, and I think this brings the total to 6 races for 2011, then I am mistaken to presume they will be cutting back their investment. So that might be a little good news.

The bad news is that this shiny new race and facility reportedly drew 50,000 fans and was a big success. And couldn't find a title sponsor for the next race.

SMI didn't sell too many seats at Kentucky, so we'll see if there is real potential for growth at New Hampshire. Milwaukee will be a money loser for the IRL. The success of the 2011 schedule will only be measured after next season is over, and when it becomes apparent who is really making the investments.
The Barber race is a Honda company picnic, so there is probably a guarantee of a sale of X amount of tickets/hospitality and I would doubt Honda is paying full rate card for a title sponsorship if anything at all.

Milwaukee a money loser for the irl? Only if the irl self promotes the race, otherwise they get their sanctioning fee to turn up.

As I said before up to a point the risk is on the promoter or track. The irl gets it's sanctioning fee either way. However as the irl is finding out, with a crap product it is asking for fees no one wants to pay, cause the promoter/track aint makin a profit. It's a game of musical chairs and the irl is running out of chairs left to plop it's indy behind on.

In terms of Honda, well, beggars can't be choosy, but the indy program could get the chop at any time. Manufacturers are notorious for canceling programs and funding with little notice and Honda has a history of it. People can food fight over the exact dollar amount Honda really contributes(could care less myself) but I'd never take them for granted I'll just say that.