View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2762581)   #63
THE STAPE
Rookie

THE STAPE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Y View Post
A question that I'm sure you get asked a lot: What do you desire to get from your sponsorship money?
...It's complicated.

First of all, I have no firm evidence that I'll get anything from actually putting my name on the side of a car. That could be one of the reasons sponsors just don't get involved. They need to know that, like mainstream advertising, their spend will be returned. This doesn't actually matter to me.

What I am looking for is an association with a successful team, and it has to be a team. I'll put in money, directly, I'll feature the team and their progress on a blog, watch and learn how they work, etc.

A few good photos would look good on my blog, raise my profile and the teams association with my project, in turn, would raise their profile.

What is tough is finding the right team that are open to an arrangement as described above. Two that I tried in the past just didn't get it.

What was interesting, was that prior to getting involved with one team, I approached a few companies myself to test the water so to speak, the aim was to see what I could bring to the table along with my offer.

...It's difficult to explain without going into details but the result was that I was very close to securing a significant offer that surpassed what I had available. I presented this to the guys I was talking to at the time and whilst one half was able to see clearly what I was demonstrating, the other half just couldn't see the potential. I think they were actually scared by the prospect of their hobby becoming much more serious with obligations.