View Single Post
Old 3 Nov 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2784401)   #16
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has been said already, I wouldn't want to be the one doing the selection. Do you only choose circuit regulars as a reward for supporting the smaller meetings, which means marshals wanting to visit other circuits are discouranged because, with respect, travelling hundreds of miles for a smaller, possibly one day meeting is not that attractive for many. Or do you welcome visitors, at the risk of alienating regulars?

There was a time when you only got accepted at a TOCA event if you could do both days. Perhaps that is a reaonable criterion?

The GP and Goodwood are different. The GP requires the most experienced marshals because it is our showcase event. Goodwood doesn't have other regular meetings, although I realise there are sprints, etc.

It's a very difficult balancing act, but some meetings are so oversubscibed that they do border on being dangerous. If a car was to go over the barriers there are too many targets and too few escape routes.

There's also the spectacle of hordes of marshals descending on a car unneccesarily, which looks bad to spectators and TV viewers.

I agree large meetings can be used as training opportunities, utilising experienced marshals to mentor trainees. I have done this myself when there have been three flaggies on post. However, there are only so many trainers that you can use, so this may not completely solve the problem.