View Single Post
Old 5 Nov 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2785607)   #83
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Green View Post
Why have marshal recruiting days when we have too many?
Over the last few years a lot of effort has been put into recruiting to address the problem of dwindling marshal numbers; I believe it's essential to maintain that impetus to avoid a return to the famine years. If we assume that recent high levels of new marshals were, in part at least, the result of a pent-up demand, then a levelling-off in recruitment is to be expected; that, plus the normal retention rate, could be expected to lead to a stabilisation over the next few years. Of course, I could be completely wrong here - that's pure conjecture.

Quote:
I agree at some meets we do need to limit numbers of marshalls, but how you can get a "fair" selection process is somewhat more complicated.
I don't envy anyone faced with the problem of selecting marshals for over-subscribed meetings - there no way you can discriminate fairly, so maybe a totally random process is the "fairest" way.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that, overall, marshal numbers, especially of experienced marshals, are still too low; however, forcing people to do meetings they have no interest in before they can do the meetings they really want to do is, I believe, a dangerous path to go down. Having said that, I have suggestions to offer as to how it should be done. . .